Friday, January 4, 2008

Christmas

This is my first Christmas in 35 years that was not spent w/ Mike. I have thought over the many Christmas gifts I have received from this man and I wanted to share them.

Our first Christmas - he gave me a robe. He had gone to a department store and the saleslady asked him what size. He stated that he "was a 40 and she's smaller, so give me a 38". I was a size 10. I wrapped it around almost double but wore it until it fell apart several years later. He also gave me a sewing machine which was well used in the years to come.

Christmas in Mansfield - I wouldn't tell Mike what I wanted. I wanted him to think about it and know me and plan accordingly. Wrong idea. He ordered my gifts from a cheap catalog. For Christmas, my gifts were a bacon press, an egg ring, and 3 recipe cards from the 3 kids; Mike got me a huge crackerjack diamond ring. I cried and cried and he comforted me as best he could. I explained that he had to think about me and that he knew the things I liked.

The next Christmas - he knew I loved White Shoulders at that time. I received white shoulders cologne, perfume, soap, bath oil, deodorant, powder. Nothing but White Shoulders. Still not great but better!

The next Christmas - I got wiser. I gave him an itemized list of what he was to buy. He stuck to it religiously. This went on for several years and then
He got wiser - He gave me Emeril's pots and pans ( I love to cook); watches (my style and color); manicures, pedicures, massages (oh yea!), took me shopping, and many more great things.

But my favorite gift was a personalized license plate. He had it made in the mall by my nephew Shawn. It said "the whining starts here". I loved the fact that Mike knew me. He knew that I liked to talk, share, vent, or even whine about my problems. And he loved me anyway and had fun with it. This became my sweetest gift and I had it on my car until it was totaled. I have always wished that it had been removed from the car before it was towed.

So, Mike, while I didn't receive a gift from you this year, I take my memories as my special gift from you. You have made me laugh and cry this season. Know you are in my thoughts. I love you...Donni

No comments: