Friday, November 2, 2007

Family Comes First

Have you ever had a heart stopping experience? Well, I have when my uncle Mike suddenly passed away.

My uncle Mike was in the hospital for sometime. He was doing particularly well. My step-dad got the phone call on a Tuesday. I wasn't home. I had to umpire a U-8 game. I got home around seven.

When I came home, I realized that something was wrong. My mom finally told me what was wrong.

"What's wrong?" I asked in a worried voice.

"Rachel, Uncle Mike has died." My mom said in a sad voice.

I was in shock. I fell to the ground in tears. Uncle Mike was doing so well. I couldn't believe it. My Uncle Mike was gone.

My step-dad's older brother was gone. My cousin's dad was gone. My aunt's husband was gone. Worst of all, my grandmother's son was gone. My grandmother had to see her child be buried. That was the worst thing I have ever seen in my whole life. A mother had to see her child be laid to rest.

The next morning, my step-dad, little brother and I flew out of Philadelphia to Louisiana. We got to my Aunt Lynn's house and then, I saw Granny. Then, my heart just broke. To see anyone like I just saw my grandmother is just plain awful. I gave her a big hug.

I was very happy that I was there for my family. My Uncle Mike's funeral was sad and happy at the same time. It was a celebration of his life. I heard stories of him and was in shock. He did so many good things that I was not aware of. My Uncle Mike was and still is a superhero to me. He is the reason why I believe family comes first. Family is the first priority on my list.

When Uncle Mike left this world, it was a heart stopping experience for me. I will never forget my Uncle Mike. The question "why" is still in my head to this day. He is the reason why I believe that family comes first.

I will always live by this belief. Family is before anything. It is before sports, school and friends. My family is there for me when I have a problem, and I am going to be there for them when they have a problem. This is a belief that I will always have.

Rest in peace, Uncle Mike. I love you.

Rachel W.

No comments: